I recently got an iPhone for my Birthday (Yes, I am spoiled), and I soon discovered it’s many wonderful iPhone applications that are helpful with Health and Weight loss.
The reasons why I love the “Lose it!” App for the iPhone
1) You can easily set up your weight loss goals. You enter in your current weight, your goal weight, and set up a time line on when you can realistically expect to achieve your goal weight. You can do this by setting up a realistic plan of losing anywhere from “maintain current weight” to “lose 2 lbs per week”. Once you decide on what you want to commit to, it will give you a date of when you will be at your goal weight. The more weight you lose each week, the sooner you will be at your goal weight (do not lose more than 2 pounds a week!). Now you have a date of when you will have reached your goal, and I feel it makes it even more exciting and real.
2) Easily tracks your exercise each day. It has a database of common exercises that people participate in, gives an estimated calorie burn for how long you were exercising, as well as for the intensity of the exercise. For example, the Elliptical machine at “Vigorous” for 30 minutes estimates that you have burned about 257 calories. I have tested this many times, and usually the estimates are quite accurate. Normally, I am within about 5 calories from what my machine at the gym said, versus what my “Lose it!” applicate says I burned. If the applicate seems to be way off on it’s calculation, change the intensity level until you have found the right level of what you have participated in.
3) Easily tracks Food you have consumed each day, and breaks it down in Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snacks. You can find common foods in a database, or you can add your own foods in, and it remembers it for later use.
4) When you add in your current weight, weight loss goal and timeline, and you add in your exercise and food…it let’s you know if you are on track or not on track for your goal weight by providing you a calorie budget. This is a nice high-tech food journal, with all the extra perks!
5) “Lose it!” is a FREE Application.
Remember when you are trying to lose weight, you should focus on your overall health! Yes, you are allowed so many calories a day, but be sure that you are feeding your body the nutrition it needs to function and live.