When I think of Summer barbecues, one of the first fruits I think of is a refreshing Watermelon slice! To celebrate Summer, I have listed some amazing health benefits that Watermelons come with, something we can all enjoy!
Watermelon Health Benefits
1) Watermelon is rich in a carotenoid antioxidant in it called lycopene, which is something tomatoes are famous for. Something you may not know, watermelon has more lycopene than any other fresh fruit or vegetable -including tomatoes -which are known to help reduce the risk of several types of cancers.
2) Watermelons are very low in calories, about 46 calories per cup. This is one of the many reasons that makes watermelon a great snack to have throughout the day, especially if you have a weight loss goal.
3) Watermelon contains arginine which is an amino acids that can help maintain arteries, blood flow and overall cardiovascular function.
4) When you eat watermelon, you consume zero grams of fat and cholesterol.
5) Watermelons are high in vitamin A which is an antioxidant and promotes eye health (just like carrots!)
6) Watermelons are rich in potassium, which may help control blood pressure and possibly prevent strokes.
7) Watermelon is fairly high in vitamin C, which is a great way to build up your immune system, prevent cellular damage, heal wounds, and even promotes healthy teeth and gums.
8) Watermelon is one of nature’s natural sources of some important electrolytes – sodium and potassium- which we lose when we sweat. This concept alone reminds me why watermelon is a great fruit to snack on during the hot Summer months.
9) I thought this was an obvious thing, but it’s important to realize that we can get water intake from the foods we eat. Some foods contain more water than others, and you guessed it – watermelon is full of water! With it’s high water concentration, eating watermelons is a great way to prevent dehydration.
10) If you want to avoid Genetically Modified (GM) foods, stay away from seedless watermelons. A side-effect of GM seedless watermelons is that there is a much higher sugar content in them, which isn’t always a good thing.