A lot of people are Vitamin D deficient without ever realizing it. I thought I’d share some of the top health benefits associated with this essential nutrient as well as provide you with a list of the top sources of Vitamin D that you can obtain naturally.
Different Types of Vitamin D
There are two types of vitamin D - D2 (ergocalciferol) and D3 (cholecalciferol).
Health Benefits of Vitamin D
• Helps provide calcium balance in the body, which is essential in preventing osteoporosis or arthritis.
• Recent research has shown that those who receive high amounts of vitamin D have a lower risk of developing Type 1 Diabetes later on in life.
• Aids in insulin secretion, regulates blood pressure, reduces stress and tension, relieves muscle spasms, helps fight depression, and reduces respiratory infections.
• Boosts the immune system and helps the body naturally fight off viral infections, such as the flu. Vitamin D also helps control the immune system, which prevents the body from overworking as it’s trying to heal itself.
• Vitamin D helps the intestine absorb nutrients, such as calcium (strong bones!) and phosphorus.
• Recent studies have shown that vitamin D could help protect against many different types of cancers, including colon, prostate, and breast.
• Provides a protective lining for the blood vessels in your body, which improves cardiovascular strength.
• Improves overall skin health: Reduces wrinkles, making skin soft, strong, and smooth .
Top Sources of Vitamin D
• Sunlight exposure allows the skin cells to use ultraviolet-B rays to synthesize vitamin D naturally.
• Raw Milk
• Cod Liver Oil
Note: Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means that you need to also have something with fat in it, such as avocado, raw nuts, or salmon.